As Back to School approaches, we may see major retailers dropping the prices on Macs and tablets in an effort to draw people into stores. This week, there are no standout deals on iPads or iPhones, but there are a few Macs that are available for reasonable prices, including the 27-inch 3.3GHz Retina iMac, available for $1,799, the lowest price we’ve seen on that machine yet.
Last week, Apple launched its Back to School program. Instead of offering gift cards for the iTunes Store or Apple Store as it has done in years past, any Mac purchase through September 18 will net you a free pair of Beats headphones. If you’re buying a new Mac, that’s a deal worth checking out.
In this week’s deals post, we’ve also got some discounts on Apple accessories, including an external battery for the Mac, and a selection of iPhone and MacBook cases. As always, we’ve also rounded up deals on popular apps and games.
iPad Air 2
B&H Photo is offering a small discount on some of its iPad Air 2 models, dropping prices by $30 to $50. With the discount, 64GB model Wi-Fi only model in Space Gray is priced at $568 and the 128GB model in Gold is priced at $659. Prices vary somewhat by model, but there are slight discounts to be had on quite a few of the site’s iPads.
MacMall also has some slight discounts on various iPad Air 2 models, discounting them by up to $40. The 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad Air 2 in Silver is available for $568, while the 128 GB Gold version is available for $659 and the Space Gray 64GB model is $568.
Best Buy, Amazon, and B&H Photo have deep discounts on some remaining stock of now-discontinued higher-capacity iPad Air models, as listed below.
– iPad Air Cellular Space Gray 64GB (AT&T) – $532.99
– iPad Air Cellular Silver 128GB (Verizon) – $663.99
iPad mini 3
Amazon has a couple iPad mini 3 models available at a low price. The 16GB Silver Wi-Fi only model is available for $345, while the 16GB Space Gray Wi-Fi only model is available for $379.99.
B&H Photo is offering some modest discounts on various iPad mini 3 models, dropping the price by up to $50. The 16GB WiFi + Cellular iPad mini 3 in silver is available for $429, the lowest price we’ve seen, and the 128GB version is available for $639. The 128GB WiFi only iPad mini 3 in Silver is priced at $499, a $100 discount.
Discounts for each model and color vary, but most models are being offered at a lower price than you’ll find at the Apple Store, and buying from B&H, you won’t have to pay sales tax unless you’re in New York.
iPad mini 2
Amazon has some discounts on current iPad mini 2 models, offering The 16GB Space Gray Verizon iPad mini 2 for $335.99. The 16GB Silver Verizon iPad mini 2 is available for $355.
Best Buy, B&H Photo, and Amazon have remaining stock of now-discontinued higher-capacity iPad mini 2 models, which are a good deal if you’re looking for an iPad mini. Compared to the iPad mini 3, the iPad mini 2 only lacks Touch ID.
– iPad mini Cellular Silver 128GB (AT&T) – $549.99
– iPad mini Cellular Space Gray 128GB (AT&T) – $538.99
– iPad mini Cellular Silver 128GB (Verizon) – $528.98
– iPad mini Cellular Space Gray 128GB (Verizon) – $534.99 (Lowest Price Ever)
– iPad mini Cellular Space Gray 64GB (Verizon) – $439
– 2013 21.5-inch 2.7GHz/8GB/1TB (Adorama) (B&H Photo) (MacMall) – $1,199.99, $100 off
– 2013 21.5-inch 2.9GHz/8GB/1TB (Adorama) (B&H Photo) (MacMall) – $1,399, $100 off
– 2013 27-inch 3.2GHz/8GB/1TB (B&H Photo) – $1,679.99, $120 off
– 2013 27-inch 3.4GHz/8GB/1TB (Adorama) – $1,794.99, $204 off
– 2014 27-inch 3.5GHz/8GB/1TB Retina iMac (Adorama) (B&H Photo) (MacMall) – $2,199.99, $100 off
– 2015 3.3GHz/8GB/1TB Retina iMac (B&H Photo) – $1,799.99, $200 off (Lowest Price Ever)
– 1.4GHz/4GB/500GB (Adorama) (B&H Photo) – $464.99, $34 off
– 2.6GHz/8GB/1TB (Adorama) (B&H Photo) – $664, $35 off
– 2.8GHz/8GB/1TB (Adorama) (B&H Photo) (MacMall) – $938, $60 off
– 2015 11-inch 1.6GHz/4GB/128GB (Adorama) (B&H Photo) – $824.99, $75 off
– 2015 11-inch 1.6GHz/4GB/256GB (Best Buy) (Amazon) (Adorama) – $1044.99, $50 off
– 2015 13-inch 1.6GHz/4GB/128GB (Best Buy) – $899, $100 off
– 2015 13-inch 1.6GHz/4GB/256GB (Best Buy) (B&H PHoto) – $1,099, $100 off
– 2014 11-inch 1.4GHz/4GB/256GB (Adorama) – $798, $300 off (Lowest Price Ever)
– 2014 13-inch 1.4GHz/4GB/128GB (Adorama) (B&H Photo) – $879, $120 off
– 2014 13-inch 1.4GHz/4GB/256GB (B&H Photo) – $869, $330 off (Lowest Price Ever)
Retina MacBook Pro
– 2015 13-inch 2.7GHz/8GB/128GB (Best Buy) (B&H Photo) – $1,199, $100 off
– 2015 13-inch 2.7GHz/8GB/256GB (Best Buy) – $1,399, $100 off
– 2015 13-inch 2.9GHz/8GB/512GB (Adorama) (B&H Photo) (MacMall) – $1,699.99 $100 off
– 2015 15-inch 2.2GHz/16GB/256GB (Adorama) – $1,815, $180 off
– 2015 15-inch 2.5GHz/16GB/512GB (Adorama) (B&H Photo) – $2,349, $150 off
– 2014 13-inch 2.6GHz/8GB/256GB (Adorama) (B&H Photo) – $1,229, $259 off
– 2014 13-inch 2.8GHz/8GB/512GB (B&H Photo) – $1,449 $350 off
– 2014 15-inch 2.5GHz/16GB/512GB (B&H Photo) (Amazon) – $1,999 $500 off
There are also quite a few iOS apps that are on sale at discounted prices or available for free for a limited time. We’ll highlight a few here, but make sure to check out our sister site AppShopper for a complete list.
Runner platformer WonderCat Adventures is available for free, down from $1.99. Shoot ’em up game Aliens Drive Me Crazy is available for free, down from $1.99. Kairosoft’s simulation game Ninja Village is available for $1.99, down from $4.99.
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 is available for $0.99, down from $4.99. LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 is available for $0.99, down from $4.99. LEGO Lord of the Rings is available for $0.99, down from $4.99. The LEGO Movie Video Game is available for $0.99, down from $4.99.
Task management app toDo+ is available for free, down from $1.99. Board game Lost Cities is available for $1.99, down from $3.99. Photo editing app FX Photo Studio is available for free, down from $2.99.
Physics battle game Worms3 was named Apple’s App of the Week, so it will be free to download until next Thursday when a new app is picked.
The Titan Heavy Duty Lightning cable by FuseChicken is available from StackSocial for $24.99, down from $25. Woot is selling Beats Solo HD headphones for $108.99, down from $199.
Groupon has a Nylon Incase Sleeve for the MacBook Pro for $24.99, down from $60. The Griffin Identity Case for iPhone 6 or 6 Plus is available for $10.99 from Groupon, down from $39.99.
The iRing Grip and Stand for iOS devices, designed to help you hold your iPhone or tablet while taking photos, is available for $9.99 from LivingSocial. Best Buy is offering 10 percent off select Lifeproof Fre cases for the iPhone 6. The Lenmar ChugPlug External Battery for MacBook Air or Pro is available for $49, down from $129.99.
Best Buy has the Harman Kardon Onyx Bluetooth Speaker available at a $200 discount, dropping the price to $199.99. Best Buy has the Speck CandyShell case for Apple Watch for $5 off, dropping the price to $24.99.
MacMall is still offering MacRumors readers 20 percent off AppleCare for iPad with the purchase of any iPad or iPad Air 2, using the coupon code MWBCJMACRUMORS.
Groupon’s also hosting an Apple Event, discounting a huge range of additional Apple accessories ranging from the Apple TV, iPads, and iPhones to cases and keyboards.
MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors.