Regardless of pay, you really need to like your job to have a satisfying career. For IT People "liked best" category the most often repeated entries included:
- Gives me freedom to make decisions and try new ideas.
- Listens to me and trusts me.
- Allows me to get advanced training to keep my skills current.
- Appreciates what I do and thanks me.
- Gives me interesting and challenging projects.
- Gives me flexibility in hours.
- Provides a relaxed work environment (most of the time).
In the "liked least" category the most often repeated entries included:
- Job overload and schedules that are too short.
- Bureaucracy, layers of management, clueless bosses.
- Dumb users I have to teach the same things to over and over.
- Low salary.
- No training budget.
- Not responding to ideas for improvement, even when they solicited the ideas.
- Doesn’t give us authority to make decisions.